Medical cannabis can be smoked using a variety of methods. But despite that, smoking remains the most popular choice among many people.
Now, the popularity of smoking as a method of cannabis consumption occurs for several reasons. For one, when inhaled, the effects of cannabis can be felt much faster, and this means quicker relief of more intense symptoms.
Secondly, with smoking, patients can control their dose until they achieve their desired level of relief. Also, smoking provides a simple way to sample a several medical cannabis strains to discover their unique effects.
What is Medical Marijuana?
Medical marijuana is made of dried parts of the Cannabis sativa plant. It’s the same product as recreational marijuana, but it’s specifically meant for medical purposes. It helps ease symptoms caused by certain medical conditions. The best known active compounds in Cannabis sativa are delta-9 Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and Cannabidiol (CBD).
How Does Medical Marijuana Help?
As already mentioned, the active chemicals in medical marijuana are cannabinoids. Cannabinoids are similar to chemicals the body makes that are involved in pain, movement, memory, and appetite.
Currently, research suggests that cannabinoids can help in alleviating the following conditions:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Growth of cancer cells
- Tumor growth
Various Smoking Products for Cannabis Patients
Medical cannabis patients can use a variety of devices and products to assist them relieve their symptoms. The following are the most popular options:
You can find these in a plethora of styles, including simple and affordable ones. Most of these are easy to use and come with a lighter, allowing one to easily control their intake. If you choose to use pipe for cannabis consumption, the following are some tips to keep in mind:
- Opt for glass pipes - This is one of the most recommended way to consume weed, as it’s a really clean way to burn it. Glass material doesn’t absorb or emanate any kind of residential material from the combustion.
- Skip screens for easier cleaning - Many people don’t realize screens are optional for most pipes.
- Cover the ‘carb’/‘shotgun’ when lighting the pipe - Covering it helps in moderation of airflow once you have lit the pipe.
2. Water Pipes
This is a step above the regular cannabis pipe. It comes with an added feature of water filtration. Water pipes can be beautiful in design, simplistic or complex.
When you inhale through a water pipe, the smoke will pass through a layer of water that’s inside the pipe. The water then eliminates the dry heat you get from a joint. The effect of that is that the smoke becomes cooler, creamy, and smooth.
There are two main types of water pipes – the Bubbler and the Bong. The following are some tips when using water pipes:
- Exercise caution to avoid coughing and irritation. This method produces a large amount of smoke.
- Use the ‘carb’ or ‘shotgun’ frequently to clear smoke from the chamber. If you don’t do this, smoke left in the chamber can cause lung irritation.
- Replace water before each use, and clean the pipe regularly.
- Never leave it sitting out or place it in a precarious place, as it can easily be knocked over.
These are cones that look similar to cigarettes that contain only medical cannabis. You can prepare one at home using rolling papers or purchase it in a dispensary.
The following are some tips regarding pre-rolls:
- You can expect the flavor to be good especially if the flowers used are of high quality.
- A normal sized pre-roll can surpass one dose, depending on your specific needs and tolerance.
- Although it’s a popular means of consumption, pre-rolls aren’t the most efficient. This is because some smoke is lost into the air.
- The aroma produced is stronger than in other methods. As such, you should avoid using pre-rolls if you’re looking to minimize odor.
Proper Preparation & Smoking Techniques
Whichever smoking method you choose, preparing your cannabis properly is key. The following are other things to keep in mind:
- Store it correctly - Incorrect storage can make your weed loose the cannabinoids it took months to produce. It can also end up growing mold or drying up. Mason jars are a reliable way to store weed.
- Inhale softly through the smoking device - You don’t need to inhale cannabis with a certain force, pace, or aggression. Keep the inhalation gentle to realize the full effects.
- Use less heat when igniting the product - If you use excess heat, the flavor and potency of the cannabis will reduce.
- Moderate your dosage - When preparing a pre-roll or pipe, be sure to only include the amount of cannabis you want to consume in that moment.
- Use a grinder - A grinder will help your cannabis burn more evenly and expose the cannabinoids for maximum potency.
- Drink water before you begin - One of the most common side effects with smoking cannabis is dry mouth. So, keep a bottle of water nearby when you need to rehydrate.
Hopefully, these tips will ensure you smoke cannabis correctly for optimum potency. If you have specific questions or would like to learn more, Malie Cannabis Clinic can help.
We’re the best medical marijuana clinic in Hawaii. Our goal is to make the process of acquiring your Hawaii-registered medical-marijuana card an easy and pleasant experience.